It will require divine intervention for Taylor to be potty-trained before he starts high school. I have tried EVERYTHING:
- Giving him 1 M&M for going pee, 2 for poop
- Sticker chart
- Having him sit on the toilet every 20 minutes
- Letting him just go naked
- Giving him a special "pee plant" to water
- Letting him pick out his own big boy underwear
- The "potty monster": I dressed up all of my toilets with arms and faces and they all thanked Taylor for "feeding" them after he went to the bathroom
- Telling him that he was doing a great job wherever he went to the bathroom, but encouraging him to go on the toilet
- Getting a toy if he stays dry all day
- Spanking him every time he went anywhere but the toilet
I've been at this for months. So what's my present method? I've come to the point where I'm sick of buying diapers or pullups and I'm sick of stressing about it. I'm not putting him in diapers or pullups anymore. The kid will wear underwear at all times unless he's at school. The problem? Well, he doesn't really care that he's wet. I made him ride home in his underwear after he wet his pants one day, and he came home and went straight to his toys- didn't even bother to take them off.
But today we had a breakthrough... kind of. We met Kent for lunch, and he wet his pants during lunch. So after lunch we went out to the car and I made Taylor wait on the driver side while I put Erik in his car seat on the other side. After I get Erik buckled up, I walk around the car to open the door for Taylor. What is he doing? His pants are around his ankles, his shirt is up past his belly, and he's wizzing on the black BMW that's parked next to us.
And I thought we weren't getting anywhere...